Ketterer Kunst Logo

Detailsuche

Das internationale Auktionshaus für den Kauf und Verkauf von
Hans Luckhardt

Biografien
Hans Luckhardt

*  1890 Berlin
† 1954 Bad Wiessee


Hans Luckhardt studied architecture at the Technische Hochschule in Karlsruhe from 1909 to 1911. Like his brother Wassili, Hans Luckhardt belonged to several groups of artist during the years leading up to 1920, including the Workers' Art Council, der November Group, and The Ring. In 1919/20 Hans Luckhardt joined the Glass Chain, a correspondence started by Bruno Taut, to which the architects Max Taut, Hermann Finsterlin, Paul Goesch, Wenzel Hablik, Hans Hansen, Hans Scharoun, and Wassili Luckhardt also contributed. In 1921 Hans Luckhardt and his brother Wassili opened a joint architectural practice in Berlin. Their buildings were at first under the sway of Expressionism as exemplified by the 1921 Deutsches Hygiene Museum in Dresden. From 1925, however, Hans Luckhardt and his brother turned to a more rationalist style of architecture, an approach which is also revealed in the furniture they designed in the 1920s. The Luckhardts' most important architectural projects in Berlin include the row houses on Schorlemer Allee (1925-1930), Haus Telschow (1928/29), and their plans for redesigning Alexanderplatz (1929). In 1951 Wassili and Hans Luckhardt designed the Berlin Pavilion for the Constructa trade fair in Hannover. Between 1927 and 1930 Hans Luckhardt collaborated with Anton Lorenz in experimenting on what were known as movement chairs. "Siesta", a chair for reconvalescents, was produced by Thonet. With his brother Wassili, Hans Luckhardt designed the "ST 14", a standardized tubular steel chair. Another swing chair, a slight modification of the "ST 14", was the "S 36", which the Luckhardts afterwards designed for the furnishings of the Desta House at the 1931 "Deutsche Bauausstellung" in Berlin. Hans Luckhardt became a professor at the Hochschule for Bildende Künste in Berlin in 1952.